Breaking : ANOTHER ETHNIC CRISIS AVERTED IN LAGOS: One Dead , Another Injured , Toyota Camry Car Burnt, Five Motorcycles Set Ablaze, As Aggrieved Hausa Okada Riders Attack Yoruba Youth Over Fatal Accident.

Share this Post

What would have been a bloody ethnic crisis between youths from the Yoruba extraction and  Hundreds of Hausa/Fulani  Motorcycle Riders,  was  last Sunday afternoon, May 16th,  2021, averted in igando, a  suburb of Lagos State.                                                                                                                                     

Thanks to the prompt Response and unique intervention displayed by Officers and Men of Igando Police Division , led by  their  Divisional Police Officer,  DPO,   Ezekiel Yerima , a  Superintendent of Police, SP.   

Our Correspondent who was around the  trouble Spot , learnt that for the rare  gallantry and maturity exhibited by the Igando police officers,  the crisis would have snowballed into  a major bloody  ethnic conflict ,capable of totally engulfing  the area and dwarfing   the #ENDSARS protests that led to burning down of igando police station by

 According to eyewitnesses  accounts received from Engineer Abiodun and Mr. kehinde, an Auto Electrician and Panel beater respectively, who resides in the area,  what started as an accident at about 11.30pm at Oremeji  bus stop,  by isuti road,  Egan town , on Saturday,  May 15th, 2021,unexpectedly  snowballed into a crisis.

Abiodun narrated how a young man later identified as a “Yahoo boy ” from Edo state,  who was cruising home from igando,  in his newly acquired ‘Tokunbo’ Toyota Camry ( Muscle) car,  crashed with a Bajaj motorcycle rider from the  Hausa/Fulani  extraction and allegedly killed the rider and wounded his passenger.                         

” When the information about the accident and supposed  death of the  Hausa boy, filtered into the ears of  his  kinsmen, who were gathered in  their park at the old  Akesan road bus stop,  they  all dashed down to the scene, carried their  supposedly dead brother and in retaliation, set the  car ablaze,  after scaring residents away”, Abiodun said.                                                                                                                           

However, Kehinde stated that as early as 7am on Sunday, the following day,  Sympathetic members of the area, who were angered by the effrontery of the  Hausa/Fulani  Motorcycle Riders , who had allegedly burnt the Camry car involved in the accident on Saturday night,  waylaid  some Hausa /fulani okada Riders plying the root and set ablaze five of their  Bajaj Motorcycles. 

  Out for vengeance,  the  Hausa/Fulani Motorcycle Riders were said to have reconverged in large numbers ,with green leaves  hanging on their motorcycles ,as they confronted the yoruba youth who had set up a road block in the area.     

It was  gathered that an early information  from a good samaritan motorcycle rider, passed to the  DPO ,through one Supo Aminu Idako , was the saving grace, as police operatives were said to have been drafted to the scene,  while dialogue was said to have been established with some leaders of the two warring ethnic groups. 

Sources close to the crisis mediators  informed our correspondent that the  yoruba group, led by one Alfa, demanded to see the  alleged dead Rider’s Corpse, said to have been killed in the accident, as  condition for peace or in the  alternative,  a replacement of the Camry car  allegedly burnt by the rampaging Hausa/fulani  motorcycle riders. 

Our source further reported that the representatives of the  Hausa/Fulani  group,  including their  Sheriki,  could not produce the corpse of the supposedly  dead rider or confirm his whereabout.   

  Efforts to confirm the incident from the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, CSP  Olumuyiwa Adejobi, as at press time was not possible, as text message sent to his phone line came back with a response “not aware please “.

When our correspondent contacted a leader of the Hausa community in igando, Alahaji Adamu Saadu Samari, through a telephone call, a voice from his own side of his telephone said he was not available to respond.

Share this Post

You cannot copy content of this page