Dangote Remains Africa’s Most Admired Brand After Six Years

0
Share this Post

For the sixth consecutive year, the Dangote brand has once again been recognized as the Most Admired African Brand among the top 100 brands on the continent.

When respondents were asked to recall an African brand specifically, Dangote emerged as the most admired, followed by South African telecommunications company MTN in second place and Digital Satellite Television (DSTV) in third place.

Dangote was also acknowledged as the number one African Pride brand, with Ethiopian Airlines and MTN following closely behind in second and third place, respectively.

In a new category that focuses on brands making positive contributions to society and the environment, the Dangote brand secured the second position in Sustainability, showing its commitment to doing good for people and the planet.

These rankings were announced in Johannesburg, South Africa, during the 13th Annual Brand Africa 100: Africa’s Best Brands 2023 event. 

The rankings were based on a survey and conducted by Geopoll, Kantar, and Brand Leadership across 32 African countries, which collectively represent more than 85% of the continent’s GDP and population.

Brand Africa, in its statement unveiling the rankings, revealed that MTN and Dangote took the first and second positions, respectively, in a new category highlighting brands that prioritize purpose over profit.

Meanwhile, UNICEF emerged as the top NGO, and Coca-Cola was recognized as the leading non-African brand.

In the specific category of financial services, Africa’s oldest banking group, Standard Bank, claimed the number one spot as the most admired brand in Africa.

This displaced GTBank, which had held the top position for the past three years but faced challenges from recent UK regulatory issues, service difficulties, and a tough competitive environment. 

The financial services category was dominated by South African (6) and Nigerian (6) brands, accounting for 48% of the rankings. The USA (4), led by VISA, made up 16% of the Top 25 brands, contributing to a total of 64%.In the media category, DSTV, the consumer brand of Multichoice Group, retained its prominent position as the most admired media brand in Africa, surpassing BBC and CNN. 

Non-African media brands continue to dominate the continent, representing 76% of the Top 25 brands.

Despite a decline in the share of African brands in the Top 100 most admired brands in Africa to 14%, Dangote retained its number one position for the sixth consecutive year.

Non-African brands are solidifying their presence in the continent, causing concern for Thebe Ikalafeng, the founder and chairman of Brand Africa. He emphasized the urgent need to build trust in African brands and support the “Made in Africa” initiative.

“It is concerning that despite the momentum in operationalizing the AfCFTA, rising internal pride in continent albeit against global economic challenges, that African consumers have reverted to their trusted, mostly non-Africa brands, rather than give African brands a chance,” he stated.

Bernard Okasi, the Director of Research at GeoPoll, the lead data collection partner since 2015, highlighted the effectiveness of using mobile platforms to reach and engage respondents across the continent. This approach has allowed for an increased number of countries and a larger sample size, contributing to a more comprehensive and consistent survey of Africa’s leading brands.

In his words, “With an ever increasing number of countries, greater sample size, and the growth of mobile across the continent, more than ever, using mobile continues to prove to be an effective tool to reach and access respondents across the continent”.

Karin Du Chenne, the Chief Growth Officer Africa Middle East for Kantar, who has been the insight lead for Brand Africa since its inception in 2010, noted that despite the growth in countries and sample sizes, the survey consistently reveals the leading brands in the continent, though not yet to Africa’s advantage

Anthony Chiejina, the Group Chief of Branding and Communication at Dangote Industries Limited, expressed his appreciation for the recognition of Dangote as the number one most admired indigenous African brand. 

He highlighted the strong nationalistic impressions associated with the Dangote brand, symbolizing industrialization, self-sufficiency, prosperity, power, and production.

The recent commissioning of the Dangote Petroleum Refinery & Petrochemical complex further reinforces the brand’s significance in Nigeria’s global ascendancy and regional development.

Established in 2010, Brand Africa aims to inspire a brand-led African renaissance, fostering competitiveness, connectivity, and a positive image of the continent.

Share this Post

Leave a Reply

You cannot copy content of this page